Re: Multi Thread applications with GNUstep

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: Re: Multi Thread applications with GNUstep
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:03:42 +0200 (MET DST)

> The problem is most likely that the control you have clicked on has
> grabbed things and *doesn't want* anything else messing with the display

Yes, that is part of the problem.
But if I call setNeedsDisplay: in the worker thread, the display is not
updated. At least until I move the mouse of the app's windows (main window
or menu). This is due to _handleWindowNeedsDisplay not being performed by
the run loop (because there is no RunLoop in the thread).

On the other hand, if I tweak things so that the NSRunLoop performs
_handleWindowNeedsDisplay, there is a crash: the worker thread is trying
to draw by itself, something it should not do.

I've attached a small app that shows the two different cases.

I'm still wondering on how to correct the current implementation.
All suggestions welcome !

Pierre-Yves Rivaille