Re: problems with forward invocation (gcc bug?)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: problems with forward invocation (gcc bug?)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:46:44 +0100

On Thursday, August 2, 2001, at 02:43 PM, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
I have a modified version of GSFFCallInvocation
that determines the return type in gs_objc_msg...
But it needs cleaning up.  Question to the GNUstep maintainers:

a.  Is it OK to assume that, for the return type
        all pointer types are equivalent?
        The ffcall library does, and it will reduce
        the coding effort involved.  (And I can not
        imagine a platform where it is different anyway)

That's ok ... it's an assumption made in a lot of places
anyway.

        And in the same spirit: use non public
        macros from the ffcall packages?
        (I think the current implementation already
        does and it might be very hard/impossible
        without)

Not sure what you mean by non-public ... but I guess so.

b.  Is it OK to access directly the data structures
        in libobjc (the method list etc.)

Preferably not ... there is an effort underway to port to
the Apple runtime, so anything that night make that harder
would be best avoided if you can.

Thanks for working on this.