Re: Structure name in method type?

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Structure name in method type?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:45:27 +0200

You Laurent wrote:
> Looking at the
> code of the GNU objective C library it seems that C structures
> can be specified in the method type along with their name (e.g
> {"MyStruct"=ff} for a structure named MyStruct and made of two
> floats. However I have never seen this label in any of the structures
> commonly used as arguments or return value in GNUstep like NSRange,
> NSPoint, NSRect, NSSize,... in the GNUstep libs).
>
> Does anyone konw how to make the struct name appear in the signature? Or
> is it that the GNU Objective C compiler can't do it?

I have looked very briefly at it a few months ago, and my general impression
was that the GNU ObjC compiler is not very good at handling type information.
A few examples can be found in the NSInvocation/forwarding thread in this group.

I think that the GNU ObjC  compiler could do with a better handling
of type information.  (there are a few compiler bugs in handling type this).

But fixing the compiler to get this right is (I think) difficult and I doubt
that the information will be used much.  Forwarding works quite
well without this information,  but admittingly would be safer and
cleaner if we could get to the typeinformation.

For me, forward declaration of protocols is much
higher on my wish list.

Wim Oudshoorn.