Re: garbage collector

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: garbage collector
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:49:29 +0100

On Thursday, October 4, 2001, at 09:29 PM, Matej Kosik wrote:

Hi

Is there some garbage-collector for `Objective C' ?
I do not want to use `retain', `release' and `autorelease',
if it is not necessary [as I hope it is not].

I have looked again [quickly] into some book on NeXTSTEP - Objective C
but there is no word about garbage collector or
`retain/release/autorelease'

Can somebody please send me some links to documents or whatever from
which I can learn stuff:

        - do I need to use retain/release/autorelease in any case?
        - if not, what have I to do with `gcc' to make it collecting
                unnecessary objects AUTOMATICALLY [without asking
                me to help him by putting retain/release/autorelease
                into the source code]

If there is some way how to configure `gcc' to use the `boehm-gc'
[I have tried to configure gcc with `--enable-objc-gc', but `gcc'
 instalation step failed]

Yes .. gcc supports objective-c with boehm-gc

However, support for gc in gnustep-base is really at alpha stage, and is
not being actively developed (volunteers welcome), and gc has really not
been addressed at all in the other gnustep libraries.