Re: OpenStep Joystick API

From: strobe anarkhos
Subject: Re: OpenStep Joystick API
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:34:30 -0700

At 11:40 AM -0400 10/4/01, C&H wrote:
>I want to use a joystick in an OpenStep app that I am writing that uses
>joysticks as a realtime interface to the MusicKit v5.  I am planning on
>making this app work on GnuStep, as well as MacOS X and OpenStep for
>Mach 4.2/Intel(remember that?!).  So I am looking for an OpenStep
>Joystick API so I won't have to write to many different joystick
>drivers.
>
>Does anything like this exist or should I start it myself?  I have some old
>NeXTSTEP 3.3 sources that I could port, if anyone wants to help.  I was
>thinking that it could support Mac OS X's HID/Input Sprockets,
>libjsw(http://wolfpack.twu.net/libjsw/), and whatever else...

Well since you mention OS X you can take a look at HDI, however I warn that
it's very low-level. So low-level in fact that each app has to implement
calibration separately (which MacOS never had to do with it's higher level API).

I don't think anybody has written an ObjC wrapper for HDI. I've proposed doing
something along those lines but nobody wants to take the initiative.