Re: GNUstep for Darwin

From: Aurelien
Subject: Re: GNUstep for Darwin
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:17:41 +0100

Le mardi 30 octobre 2001, à 01:29 PM, Ethan Benson a écrit :

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:52:15AM +0100, Aurelien wrote:
You must already know that projects are under way to port existing FSF
software to Darwin, the open Mach/BSD OS from Apple. These are two I
know of:

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/
http://fink.sourceforge.net/

I didn't see GNUstep mentioned on these sites, although I'd think it
would obviously be an ideal match.

Since I would love to have GNUstep installed on my iBook, I'm ready to
take the time to find the best procedure to port GNUstep for one of
these distributions. But first, I would like to know what you guys think
about those two projects.

why not install Debian GNU/Linux on your ibook and then install
GNUstep on debian?  Debian runs very nicely on powerpc hardware.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

This is precisely what I don't want to do, and in the same time, it is why I got interested in GNU/Darwin: it lets you run FSF software in parallel with OSX programs. For example, I use a GIS software named GRASS on my iBook, and that implies running an X server. I have too many OSX programs that I rely on to just abandon this great OS. For example, I use Microsoft Word (Yes, I dare to say it !), JBuilder and Project Builder and a great drawing program called OmniGraffle. Those are tools I daily rely on in my professional activities and for which there's no viable FSF alternative (please don't try to convince me of the contrary).

The main reason why I would like to have GNUstep on my machine is to make sure that objc-jxta, my hobby project, compiles and runs in this environment.

Thanks anyway,

Aurélien