Re: "external" frameworks (was: Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing D

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: "external" frameworks (was: Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software to the Project)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:33:30 +0000

On Friday, December 21, 2001, at 06:14 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:52:47 +0000 (GMT)
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
we miss gui details, we miss applications, but we have to code those
anyway - it's just a matter of time.  so - what
[...]

I hope that's not flame-bait ...

The other day, I came across source of some older (April 2000, IIRC)
frameworks used by Omni Group. Some of the make- and config-files
use GNUstep #ifdef's others don't ... According to the license files,
you cannot release any changes, only send patches back to Omni.

Has anyone ever tried to port those to GNUstep?
I don't know if Omni would give permission to do so and let us add
them to GNUstep, but those frameworks just might spark the interest
of other developers, especially those with OS-X background ...
(eg. OmniWeb is based on those)

I remember that someone ported some Omni stuff ... but I don't remember who.
You could try looking at the archives for this list.

I suspect that Omni would want to keep control ... but they may well accept patches to keep their source in sync with GNUstep if you want to give them
to them.