beginner questions

From: dlatt
Subject: beginner questions
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:28:20 +0100

Hello,

I'm beginning to try programming in GNUstep.
To start, I read the nice mini-tutorials by Nicola Pero.

One little thing I'm puzzled by are the class header files,
which seem to be ignored by the makefiles. If I write a simple
GNUmakefile like

---------------
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=$(GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT)

APP_NAME=test
test_OBJC_FILES=main.m MyAppDelegate.m

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make
---------------

, the header files are ignored, i.e., if I change
MyAppDelegate.h, the dependent .m files are not
recompiled. Is this by design or what can I do
to avoid it?

A second, bigger puzzle is the memory management.
It seems very confusing to me how objects
returned by methods, pointed to by instance variables or
auto variables is/should be managed. Who should release
them or should they be autoreleased...

Where can I best read about the concepts concerned?

TIA, Dirk Lattermann