Re: ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: Re: ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:52:43 +0100

OK, I'll take the bait and say ...
Sounds like bloat - what was wrong with using the existing
otherEventWithType:... method?
That's what the method is there for (actually, I don't think you even need
use that method).

It was not possible to create an event with deltaX, deltaY and deltaZ on MOSX, which is strange because you can create every other kind of mouse event programmatically.

2. NSMouseMoved and NS*MouseDragged event do now use deltaX, deltaY and
deltaZ. It's not using eventNumber, clickCount and pressure anymore. It's
not
raising an exception if you call those methods on those kind of events, but
it will soon (once i'm sure it does not break anyone's code). I doubt
anyone
use those features, but you never know.

I forgot to say, that all these changes were MOSX-consistent, I did not came with the silly idea to break things and create a deltaZ value :-). The only additions I made was the new class method, which would, anyhow, be needed as an internal method.
The question should have been : do we make this class method public or not.

I don't really know why they did add this deltaZ stuff, I suppose the only reason I see is that they had space to fill in the enum ...

Scrollwheel operation should afaik only have a single delta .... either a
positive or negative move
in one dimension.

But there are mice with trackpoints instead of wheels (IBM did this at one point on its desktop), I suppose this does explain why delta{X, Y, Z} are float, no dual value thing.