Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:38:49 +0100

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Nicola Pero  wrote:

> When you port a framework from MacOSX, you can compile it as a shared
> library on GNUstep.

Ok, do it and tell me how much time do you need. Then do with framework
stuff and make a comparison.

> Said that, if you want to use a GNUstep framework, use it.  We have them.
> They have the same name as MacOSX frameworks, they install stuff in the
> same directory structure, and they also provide the NSBundle difficult API
> bits.  You are free to use them if you want.  Of course they work on
> GNU/linux, but who knows on other platforms.

Sorry, but your last statement makes no sense !

All the things are not portable on all system, as you said... so since my NS 3.3
box can't compile a shared library I have to force all systems to use static
library ?

As I said many times, framework stuff is not yet _finished_.

> I do agree with was said, or is going to be said, that we need to separate
> the gnustep-base resources, and the gnustep-gui resources, and every
> library resources, from the resources of other libraries, and we need to
> do that cleanly.  All these changes take time.

Indeed... did you consider resources versioning ?

---
Bye,
     Mirko  <mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it>   (NeXTmail, MIME)
                    <mirko@yourbox.net>