Re: dia2code objc

From: Björn Gohla
Subject: Re: dia2code objc
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:21:34 +0100

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 17:04, Bjoern Giesler wrote:

[...]

> IMHO, putting a notice like "you should never call these directly" in the
> interface and/or documentation is plenty enough. Enforcing privacy
> through any other way means that the library / component developer has to
> think of every single possible use that the library / component can be
> put to, later on, by the application developer. I claim that this is
> impossible, and can name a couple of examples where I had to re-write
> huge parts of library frameworks because I was forbidden, by the
> compiler, to access certain instance variables. (Well, I didn't really
> re-write them but used ugly pointer tricks, but you get my point.)

to wrap up the suggestions made so far, the most promising approach would be
to dispense with forced access control to methods. i will put private and
protected methods into separate categories, thus not prohibiting the users
access to any method of a class, only clearly and orderly declaring the class
designers intentions to the user.