Re: multilanguage environment

From: Björn Gohla
Subject: Re: multilanguage environment
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:39:06 +0200

On Monday 22 April 2002 05:14, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
>   From my little experience,
>   if you get * for every non-latin character,
>   you have to set the correct encoding in your environment variable
> GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING.
>   And the GNUstep-base should handle it correctly.

i am kind of wondering why i should have to set GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING
anyway, as the problematic strings are read from a gnustep escape coded
property list, which gnustep should be able to read regardless. as gnustep
always knows the internal encoding of strings (i assume) and NSString s are
transparently convertable to unicode (i assume again), it should have no
trouble finding a font to show the string, even if that meant using the rough
looking misc-fixed-* unicode fonts.