Re: multilanguage environment

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: multilanguage environment
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:39:02 +0200

> i am kind of wondering why i should have to set GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING
> anyway, as the problematic strings are read from a gnustep escape coded
> property list, which gnustep should be able to read regardless.

xgps needs to get the string in an encoding it can pass on to X, and
apparently setting GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING helps (though I've never done
that myself).

> as gnustep
> always knows the internal encoding of strings (i assume)

That depends on what you mean by internal encoding. It only knows
whether it's stored in the internal encoding (which is often the same as
GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING) or as 16bit unicode.

> and NSString s are
> transparently convertable to unicode (i assume again), it should have no
> trouble finding a font to show the string, even if that meant using the rough
> looking misc-fixed-* unicode fonts.

xgps doesn't really look for fonts to use, it picks one for each name
and uses it all the time (afaict). Knowing which font you're getting and
what encoding xgps uses would help. Running an app with
'--GNU-Debug=dflt' should be enough. Look for lines with 'Loaded font:
...' and 'Found encoding x for y'.

- Alexander Malmberg