Re: Look & feel, future plans

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Re: Look & feel, future plans
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 13:03:21 +0000

On 2002-05-08 11:10:01 +0100 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

well esp. the issue with menus is a hot potatoe... I almost bet that you will
not find many (ex-)NeXT users who like horizontal menus better than NeXT's
approach. I strongly believe that vertical menus are far superior and that
Apple made a big mistake in dropping them, but this is just my opinion...:-)

They are useful on one situation though - if you have a full screen App. That
fits a lot better along the top of the screen. Didnt someone have a backend
which did this though, or is that my warped imagination ?

-bat.

Hi,

There is / was a patch for Mac style menus:

http://www.webology/daniel/

I found the idea very neat when I saw it a while back. I actually find the
behaviour of the NeXT style menus a little annoying when you have a lot of
applications, often find myself chasing menus or them just poping up in my way
when I just want to move an app window. At least with the Mac style menu it is
always in one place. I heard the argument about having to trail across a lot of
screen space to get to your menu compared to NeXT style, but that depends where
you leaft the menu the last time you opened the app. Having to trail across you
desktop is simply a failure to provide adequate key bindings nothing more IMHO.

This patch is not very pretty, but I very much like the idea and would like to
see it developed further.

I rarely post, but I do like the idea of a Mac style menu :)

Regards, Ian