Re: Proposal question.

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: Proposal question.
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 03:21:55 +0200

On Wed, 08 May 2002 15:46:12 -0400, Tim Harrison wrote:

>Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>
>> Note that GWorkspace.app,  like WorkspaceManager.app honor the .hidden
>> files and merely putting "Library"  and "Tools" in the .hidden file of
>> $HOME is  enough to have  it hidden (under GWorkspace).   Unix experts
>> set  their "unix  expert"  option  in the  preferences  to ignore  the
>> .hidden files and to show all the interesting items.
>
>If I understand your intention, this would tend to support putting
>Library and Tools directly into the Users domain (ie.
>/Users/harrison/Library and /Users/harrison/Tools).  If the user wished
>to see them, they could set the UNIX Expert option.

Why not stay with having everything GNUstep-related in ~/GNUstep? and
if wished symlinking the folders to ~ and putting 'GNUstep' into the
.hidden file. This has the advantage of keeping the GNUstep stuff
together in one place (I dislike having seperate folders for every app
in my home dir) while making it easily available using the symlinks.
Also this way, you would have no problems with Window Maker
creating/requireing a new GNUstep folder.

Please note, one concept of GNUstep to be as system-independent as
possible, that also means that GNUstep's files should stay distinct
from the rest of the file system. Of course, on a GNUstep-only system
like LinuxSTEP you could say that you don't want that distinction, but
then again keep compatibility in mind: i.e. I can simply
copy/export/mount my GNUstep folder to another machine and have all my
personal GNUstep stuff there without the need of fiddling with all the
other files/documents/etc in my home directory.

Well, this is just some consideration. As my Linux installation is
quite GNUstep-oriented, personally I'd also be happy with having
Library, Tools, etc in ~...

Greetings,
Martin