Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release

From: Saibot
Subject: Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:30:59 +0200

Hello,

Personally, and although I still haven't contributed to the GnuStep
implementation (hey, I can have an opinion all the same), I like the OGL
route, mainly because it is OS agnostic thus garanteeing identical look and
performance (as long as drivers perform equaly) on all OSes that support
OGL. That and the fact that it means only one backend to maintain without
having to care much about the platform (aside from initial GL context
creation).
While it is true that OGL is not designed primarily for 2D, I think it would
perform very well (from my own experience using OGL for 2D).
Did anyone here do performance benchmarks?

Stephan