Re: call for code audit help

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: call for code audit help
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:42:10 +0200

Hi,

we also look into building a pkg management system for the GNUstep environment. I had a quick look at your approach and it seems that you are not basing your efforts on one of the existing pkg managers (eg rpm or apt). May I ask why ?

Currently I tend to use rpm as the basis since it can manage multiple databases on a single host, runs on multiple platforms, it is well supported, quiet fast and - already provides a C library to process the pkgs. So I would try to build an ObjC wrapper around that library (has anybody done that before or wants to do this ?). What's also missing for rpm is the "red-carpet" functionality which I definitly want to have.

Greetings
  Helge

e.sammer wrote:
All:

I am looking for anyone interested in helping with a code audit of the LinuxSTEP package manager (lspm). As it comes closer and closer to the initial release (bundled with LinuxSTEP) and is, arguably, very important to system management I want to make sure most (hopefully all) of the bugs are caught.

Note: LinuxSTEP itself is *not* required to test lspm. Lspm will run on any system where GNUstep, popt, libxml2, etc. will run.

Like I said, this is more for checking the code rather than testing the functionality although both are important. Also, feature suggestions and constructive critique is also good.

The code is available at http://www.linuxstep.org/downloads/LinuxSTEP-CodeCore-0.0.8.tar.gz

(Instructs are included in the file)

Thanks in advance...