Re: How ot build in separate directory

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: How ot build in separate directory
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:51:53 +0100 (BST)

> This has probably been discussed before so sorry.
>
> I've been trying to find this in the makefiles and the GNUstep.sh and I
> can't find the proper way to build GNUstep binaries in different
> directories than the installation directory (lke making an RPM)

Hmmm ... Ok - I'm confused by your statement :-)

Either you mean 'to build gnustep binaries in different directories than
the _source_ directory' or maybe you rather mean 'to _install_ GNUstep
binaries in different directories than the installation directory', which
would explain the 'like making an RPM' comment.

> It was easy t do with GNUstep-make, the "special-prefix" variable made
> this quite handy.  But how to do it with gui, base, etc?

Because you're talking of special-prefix, I think what you really want to
do is relocate the whole installation into somewhere else - precisely what
is needed to build rpms.

Something like -

make INSTALL_ROOT_DIR=/var/tmp/package-build/ \
     GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=/var/tmp/package-build/usr/GNUstep/System \
     install

should do it then.

[If you're building RPMs, you are certainly aware that gnustep-make can
build that for you :-) have a look at core/make/Master/rpm.make.]