Re: Modal windows

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Modal windows
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:12:34 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
> Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:58:19 +0100
>
> > Of course, this behavior (that may  be needed in some occasions) is to
> > be avoided and preference should be given to non modal panels, because
> > of this locking nature of modes.
>
> Indeed -but thats a descision for the app designer to make. I have a few
> apps where theere are panels that alter some very fundamental parameters
> of the system. I want tosepanels to come upmodal so that the user cant
> do anything else until they hit "o.k" and all those parameters have been
> checked for correctness and submitted back into the code.
>
> Besides if it doesnt behave according to either the OpenStep spec or any of
> the other reference OpenStep implementations then surely it counts as a bug ?

What do you name "system"?  If  it's your application, then it's ok to
use a mode if you want exclusive access (within your application). But
if it's  the OS, then in any  case, a mode in  an OpenStep application
does not  prevent the user switching to  another OpenStep application,
or to the  user interface of any other process running  on the OS.  If
you need a mode on the OS, you must boot single user or telinit 1.

But  you're right  and I,  too, vote  to have  modal loops  on GNUstep
behave like  on OPENSTEP 4.2 (and  probably like it is  on MacOSX too,
could anybody with access to a MacOSX check?).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/