Re: Themes GNUstep

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Themes GNUstep
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:34:39 -0600

Nicolas Roard wrote:
Hello,

I am playing with themes on GNUstep, following the idea of the implementation of
Alexander Malmberg ...
But I encounter some problems :

- some informations needed for a theme isn't always available (as in NSButtons, the style (NSRadioButtons, etc.) isn't stocked, which render a theme implementation
 quite hazardous)

There's a function in Gorm (Palettes/2Controls/inspectors.m) which returns the button type for a button. Perhaps we could put that in gui if it is useful.

- I must currently re-implement drawRect functions (or similars) to drawing the widgets backgrounds, which force me to reimplement the entire drawRect function, and add my code... if the code of drawRect change in the gnustep cvs, I must update it in thoses themes bundles. Could it be possible to have a dedicated function for drawing the background of a widget ? which will be called instead of the [backgroundColor set]; NRectFill (cellFrame); ?

I'd like to make those changes, but I don't want to break something ;)
So what are you thinking about this ?

Well, I'd like to make themes easier also, but I don't know the best way to do it. Perhaps redoing the background and frame drawing functions so they can be overridden, or perhaps specific (and documented) drawing methods for different widgets. I was hoping someone could take the time to look at how other systems implement themes and adopt that to GNUstep.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you