Re: Themes GNUstep

From: Martin Häcker
Subject: Re: Themes GNUstep
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:52:54 +0200

Well, I'd like to make themes easier also, but I don't know the best way to do it. Perhaps redoing the background and frame drawing functions so they can be overridden, or perhaps specific (and documented) drawing methods for different widgets. I was hoping someone could take the time to look at how other systems implement themes and adopt that to GNUstep.

Well I don't know if this is of value for you but I'd like to spend my two cent on this: I would love the theming to be bitmap theming. (I think this is also called skinning) By that I mean that there shouldn't be different drawing functions for every theme but instead a mechanism to load a different bitmap to draw the controls.

That way the gui wouldn't loose its good user friendliness and still provide the main reason for themes: To look cool.

Doing themes that can change the behaviour of the user interface aren't such a good idea (IMHO) as that would just show that the original user interface wasn't good enough, and should be changed instead. (I know this is debatable but its my opinion. :)

peace
Martin
--
dont.wanna.tell