Re: best OS for using gnustep on tiBook?

From: David Wetzel
Subject: Re: best OS for using gnustep on tiBook?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:16:34 +0000

I would give NetBSD a try. See http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/

pjb@informatimago.com wrote:

> By the way, I've go a question about the TiBook.  I've been hesitating
> for 8 months about buying a top-notch TiBook configuration for MacOSX,
> but the $6000 price  tag, vs the $2500 at most it  would cost to build
> an  "equivalent" PC  laptop  with GNUstep/Linux  or  FreeBSD makes  me
> wonder  if it  really is  worth the  cost.  What  do you  think? (Even
> discounting  the expected culture  shock for  someone coming  from the
> NeXT GUI).
>
> Alternatively, what are the  performance of other TiBooks like? (other
> than the top-notch, full-loaded, fastest configuration).

The German C't magazine just tested the Xserve with single G4 (1GHz) vs an Dell
PIII (1.4GHZ).

The only thing there the G4 is faster is SSL. In all other disciplines, the P3
is faster. But you don't have to buy a brand name. You can get similar
configurations for 50% of the dell price.

Laptops are a bit different. I would stress design more than on a server. Try
if the fan is quiet. With a PC you can run *BSD, Linux, win and other fancy
options. On a Mac, you get cool design, higher prices and slower processors.
If you want MacOS, buy a mac. If you want something else, save the money for
your next machine.

just my 2ยข. YMMV

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/  dave@turbocat.de