Re: GUI appearance and GNOME

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: GUI appearance and GNOME
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:59:50 -0600

At 6:38 AM -0800 11/21/02, S P L I C E R wrote:
What does this mean exactly? If I write an app using GNUstep, what will it look like under GNOME? Will its windows/buttons etc take on the look of the current gnome theme (such as RedHat's BlueCurve)? What about X11 themes?

I have no idea if anyone has added GNOME/KDE theme support to GNUstep, but I can tell you that there's no such thing as "X11 themes." X11 is so archaic that it doesn't even have low-level concepts like "buttons" and "menus" and "scroll bars," much less themes.

(Granted, X11 was developed *after* a number of window systems that did have such low-level concepts, but somehow the people who created it thought it this design flaw was some sort of feature.)

  -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson                      |  Email: cmh@bDistributed.com
bDistributed.com, Inc.            |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955