ui elements for user help

From: Tobias
Subject: ui elements for user help
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:01:43 +0100

> Yes; but if this is a tooltip, why not simply use a tooltip ?
because a tooltip is supposed to be *very* short
(one word, may two)
i would be very annoyed, if it was about 13 lines long.

because we seem to have different ideas of all those ui elements:

-----------------------
this is a draft!!

tooltip
 - a small (mostly yellow) box
 - is displayed when the cursor gets on a specific widget
 - will NOT work on touchdisplays, where you have no cursor. (*)
 - is supposed to be only one or two words long, to not annoy the user

context help
 (skipping ui specifics...)
 - is widget specific
 - is supposed to be medium sized (up to 15 lines ?)

main help
 - is displayed in a specific help viewer
 - provides a complete (lengthy) help.

this is short... lets keep it short.
do we all agree on this?

* i am in planning phase for a new gs-backend.
it will be based on evas.
this will give us the possibility to run on any backend evas supports (x,
directfb, qtopia/opie...)
my zaurus will be the second target, thus i care about touchscreens.

~ibotty