Re: What should the user see? (Was: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1)

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: What should the user see? (Was: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:55:26 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I never used OPENSTEP ... I used NeXTstep.  As far as I can tell, the
> last versions of NeXTstep for sure, and probably early versions of
> OPENSTEP were much closer to the OpenStep idea than later versions of
> OPENSTEP or MacOS-X.  I think tooltips must have been added in a late
> version of OPENSTEP, as I never saw them in NeXTstep and I don't think
> they are in the OpenStep API.

     Yes, OPENSTEP for Mach 4.2 is sort of an odd beast.  It has all sorts
of changes for "cross-platform" use, but mostly for Windows.  I just
noticed that its context-help boxes look identical to those on Windows
2000, including shadow.  And yet it's still undeniably NeXTSTEP.

> I have nothing particular against tooltips, but I do very much dislike
> the replacement of the very good help panel context sensitive help by
> this tooltip-like help in NSHelpManager.

     Yes, I have yet to see a context-help box on Windows that does
anything but re-state the obvious.  The help for "Show icon in taskbar
when connected" is "Specifies whether an icon is displayed in the status
area when a connection is made."  Gosh, thanks for the clarification.  Now
what's a "status area?"  Even if they contained useful information,
they're a pretty poor substitute for what the help panel provides.

> Fast, context sensitive, searchable, hypertext links, back/forward
> buttons, an index of topics, hidden when the app is inactive.  The only
> thing I'd change really would be to make it support xhtml rather than
> just rtfd.  Perhaps it could invoke an external viewer application to
> follow links to remote systems.

     You've got my vote.
     I'm not completely sold on XHTML, though.  It's not
well-suited for the table of contents or index, and RTF/RTFD has strong
API support in the form of NSAttributedString, NSFileWrapper and NSText
methods.  But XHTML does have two big advantages in XML and URL support.
Guess I wouldn't mind either way.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and