Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Martin Häcker
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:38:36 +0100

I think the idea of a platform independant UI description is very possible, one of the things that is often different between platforms is sizes of standard controls, borders, spacing etc... if the UI description avoided specific sizes but instead described a size such as; normal, small, medium, large, xlarge, and as a last resort percentages, then maybe each backend could relate these sizes to their platform specific style, even on PDAs.

I do not completely agree with you on this topic.

I think that one of the strengths of Next/GnuStep/Apple is that its interface is positioned pixel by pixel and thus the developer has full control over where and how the interface elements are positioned.

To loose this would mean to loose something big as auto-layouted interfaces can never look as good as hand crafted well thought out and fixed ones.

(Just think about internationalization issues...)

Though I may be at a loss of the features of .gsmarkup here.

cu Martin
--
dont.wanna.tell
[ot]coder - hehe