Re: Of applications and documents

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:56:44 -0000

David Adam Bordoley <bordoley@msu.edu> wrote:
> real opportunity to escape the traditional application metaphor and instead
> provide a documented oriented view of the user's system.

Do you mean by moving to "everything is a document" (which has failed every
time I've seen it tried) or by using the current Services and Tools menus a
lot more (which I think we probably should do, but then we need to decide on
some "core services" which could be run by a system like Debian's
alternatives)?

Apologies for excessively long brackets...

> [...] abandon or at
> least supplement the traditional unix filesystem with a database oriented
> search one (reiserfs may provide a solution here, although I'm not too
> familiar with the details).

Come on!  I manage my real files by putting them in wallets in files in
boxes on shelves in rooms... If I want quick searching, I keep an index
of them.  Are you really telling me you know of a better way?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."