Re: Of applications and documents

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:57:57 -0000

David Adam Bordoley <bordoley@msu.edu> wrote:
> 1. Open the folder that contains the document
> 2. double click on the document
> 3. It opens in a window that is unique to that document. Saving its size and
> position, the window follows any changes made to the document (for instance
> if you rename a document in the folder, this change should be recognized and
> shown in the title of the window etc.).
> 4. Save the document (well ideally we would automatically save document
> changes and have a very well implemented persistent undo system).
> 5. Close the document (notice that you do not quit the application, this is
> not important to the user).

Other than the auto-quit of applications when they close their last
'document' window and the rename notification, how is this different
from GWorkspace?

Both of those features look hard to implement safely, though. For example,
were you renaming the doc, or moving the original out of the way before
saving the edited one from memory into its place?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."