GNUstep is not the problem [was: install hell]

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: GNUstep is not the problem [was: install hell]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:53:38 +0200

Hi Travis and others,

It's a pitty that GNUstep gets blamed for user ignorance. I am growing tired of
the "blame GNUstep" attitude. Maybe it is not fair to write this into a reply
to your e-mail, and therefor I apologise. I just want this of my chest. So
don't take this too personal.

I have build GNUstep numerous of times to be able to write the GNUstep Build
Guide (documents.made-it.com). And yes I have run into troubles, when doing
things different then the default way. But that's is NOT a GNUstep problem,
that doesn't make GNUstep a real pain. I have build GNOME when it was pre-1.0.0
and even when it was 1.0.0 it was a pain to build. Compared to that GNUstep
even in it's 0.8.x carnation is a breeze (1.7.x for make/base).

The fact that you source the GNUstep.sh file in the wrong location, or not all.
is not a GNUstep problem, but a lack of knowledge, don't blame GNUstep for
that. The fact that you mention "Why can't GNUstep just put libraries where the
rest of the system puts them?" indicates that you don't know how GNUstep works
and what it is. I don't blame you for that, but to put the blame on GNUstep is
not fair.

GNUstep is a little community with a small number of developers working VERY
hard on it. Don't forget that this is all done in private time. People work on
this for fun.

What I would like to ask is another attitude towards problems people encounter.
Starting an e-mail with "install hell" and "Installing GNUstep components is a
real pain" is not gonna help. It might frustrate people devoting their spare
time building, in my humble opinion, the best system around to work on GNUstep.
It's not nice to everytime have to defend yourself, to prove people wrong in
their ideas that GNUstep is the problem.

If you have a problem share it, ask for help without judging prematurely.

Sorry for this lengthy note. Just wanted to share this feeling.

Happy Stepping,

Dennis Leeuw