Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:35:55 +0100

On 2003-06-21 13:56:58 +0100 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

You do pointedly ignore it.  Context menus are invisible menus with
shifting geography and will always be unavoidably slower to use than
the main ones.
Thats a good reason for not enforcing their use. But its not a good argument
for not providing them at all.

If they are provided at all, some developers will put features on them that don't appear anywhere else, which effectively forces their use.

[...]
Please explain clearly and ssuccinctly why its wrong for me to empty my
wastebasket in the way I do.

Don't get me wrong: it isn't the users fault for using them if it's the easiest way to do a task. It normally means that the proper way is broken.

Context menus are wrong because they are inconsistent and hidden. How would you rather empty your wastebasket? Would you prefer to have the menu entry in a place that you can remember, or put some emptying tool near it? It sounds to me that they have used a context menu instead of using a decent main menu. I think that is inevitable. Context menus encourage laziness in interface design. Looking at each case individually, using a context menu will be a quick fix for the developer, but the cost is for all users, so we must not let them into GNUstep. Fix the interface. Please don't bodge it.

     http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
      Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."