Re: problems building - faiiling due to autogsdoc

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: problems building - faiiling due to autogsdoc
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:37:45 -0700

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:56:29 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 03:35  am, Adam Fedor wrote:
[...]
> > Well, you, of course, asked for it. So I went back and searched all
> > the gnustep mailing list archives and I didn't find a mention of a
> > bug report like this or anyone suggesting that this was the
> > solution. I also searched the entire web and didn't find anything
> > like this. Perhaps it was done privately - I don't know about that.
> I have no recollection of this bug report either, wheras I *do*
> remember being mildly annoyed that my requests/suggestions to run
> under gdb to find out what was going wrong never got a response, so I
> was never able to do anything about the problem (I wasn't willing to
> go so far as buying a new machine and installing BSD to track down the
> bug).

Sorry, for my late reply on that...

I'm pretty sure that I did send a mail about the use of /procfs, because
at that time, the configure script was checking for /procfs even if you
ran configure with --disable-procfs. Maybe that will ring a bell.

> So ... how can we decide when to automatically disable procfs?  How
> can configure decide which BSD variants have which bits of procfs
> missing?

I don't remember how Linux' /proc/ looks like, on BSD for example,
there's no /proc/self/

You only have /proc/<process ids>/ and a /proc/curproc/ content as
follows:

  dr-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  - 512 Jun 23 10:35 ../
  -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 cmdline
  --w-------   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 ctl
  -rw-------   1 root  wheel  -  32 Jun 23 10:33 dbregs
  -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 etype
  lr-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  -   7 Jun 23 10:33 file@ -> /bin/ls
  -rw-------   1 root  wheel  - 176 Jun 23 10:33 fpregs
  -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 map
  -rw-------   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 mem
  --w-------   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 note
  --w-------   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 notepg
  -rw-------   1 root  wheel  -  76 Jun 23 10:33 regs
  -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 rlimit
  -r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  -   0 Jun 23 10:33 status

--
Chris