Re: GWorkspace Suggestions

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GWorkspace Suggestions
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:36:06 +0200

On 2003-06-30 01:18:33 +0200 Christopher Culver

On 2003-06-30 00:05:57 +0300 Stefan Urbanek <urbanek@host.sk> wrote:
Sometimes I would like to see, for example, file size under the icon, or
creation date there ... or, as it was in lates GW discussion, I would like to
see thumbnail of document, or real song and author name in a MP3 file.

Please no. I moved from Nautilus to GWorkspace because it was slimmer and
didn't have bloat like this.

Please, read my email to the end. I have not suggested this to be default
behaviour. What I was suggesting was way of enabling such option. I have
suggested use of *Browser Cells*.

The specifics of a document should only be in the Inspector (though File Size
may be an exception). That's what the inspector is for, it keeps the main
window UI clean.

No, that will not solve the problem - to be able to immediately spot what you
are looking for. You pick a cell type that suits you well for your browsing. So
when you are looking for some image, you use thumbnailing cells, for example.

Suggestion was about more general solution for 'thumbnails', so i can create
way of looking at my files as I like.

     All this can make navigation of filesystem much more faster and there are
occasions where you will find what you are looking for quickier. Sure, I can
use Inspector to see all those things ... but I have to select particular file
to be able to see it.

Or you can keep the Inspector open and move through the directory with the
arrow keys until what you want appears up in the Inspector.

Yes, you can, however ... if i give you a pile of cards and tell you to find
one particular, in whichcase there is better chance that you will find it ...
if you look at each card, one at time or if you have them all open lying on the
table? Especially, if you know some properties of the card. Ofcourse, you might
be lucky and have the card on the top...

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi