Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:26:42 +0200

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03 um 16:43 Uhr schrieb Adam Fedor:

If you use the GNUstep-make system to installl Additions, it gets installed as a library.

... which isn't the preferred way of using libraries in OS X development, at least from the Apple point of view.

There is also a PB project (see the macosx subdirectory) that I think installs it as a framework.

There is no need to install a Framework anywhere. Usually, they go into the app's bundle. This enables Drag & Drop install of applications. Still, this is how Apple recommends it, how OS X users expect it and how most Cocoa developers do it.

(This is GNUstep, after all)

When answering David Ayers privately, I found this possible solution to make all citizens happy:

Headers of parts of GNUstep which can be used as a separate, standalone framework are included like:

#include <GNUstepAdditions/GSMime.h>

If you install the part the GNUstep way, the header should go into $GNUSTEP/include/GNUstepAdditions/GSMime.h> and will be found like before.

If you use the part as a framework, you name it "GNUstepAdditions.framework", add "-framework GNUstepAdditions" to the compiler flags and the header will be found as well.

I hope you get the idea. No need for any #define directive. Feel free to replace the name "GNUstepAdditions" by any other name.

After all, it's possible to build frameworks with the GNUstep build system and some developers might prefer to use them.

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/