Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:21:54 +0200

Markus Hitter wrote:

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03 um 16:43 Uhr schrieb Adam Fedor:

If you use the GNUstep-make system to installl Additions, it gets installed as a library.

... which isn't the preferred way of using libraries in OS X development, at least from the Apple point of view.

Yet it seems the preferred way from a GNUstep point of view :-) .

There is also a PB project (see the macosx subdirectory) that I think installs it as a framework.

There is no need to install a Framework anywhere. Usually, they go into the app's bundle. This enables Drag & Drop install of applications. Still, this is how Apple recommends it, how OS X users expect it and how most Cocoa developers do it.

(This is GNUstep, after all)

Exactly, it's not Cocoa :-)

When answering David Ayers privately, I found this possible solution to make all citizens happy:

Headers of parts of GNUstep which can be used as a separate, standalone framework are included like:

#include <GNUstepAdditions/GSMime.h>

If you install the part the GNUstep way, the header should go into $GNUSTEP/include/GNUstepAdditions/GSMime.h> and will be found like before.

Sorry, I fail to understand this... but I *think* you mean this:

First we need to differentiate between -base and -gui. I.e. you're suggesting to replace gnustep/base with GNUstepBaseAdditions and gnustep/gui with GNUstepGuiAdditions, everywhere.

If you use the part as a framework, you name it "GNUstepAdditions.framework", add "-framework GNUstepAdditions" to the compiler flags and the header will be found as well.

Would that really work for non OS X systems? Or are you only talking OS X here?

Well, I'm not sure I really like the idea yet, but I'll sit on it a bit and give others the chance to chime in.

Cheers,
David