Re: ANN: back-art resources 0.1.1

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: ANN: back-art resources 0.1.1
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:31:30 +0900

Adam Fedor wrote:

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 09:51 AM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/ArtResources- 0.1.1.tar.bz2
(1.4mb)

Feedback is appreciated.

Issues:

Where should this package be? It would be good to have it as close to
-back as possible, but it's probably too big to have it in -back
(uncompressed, Free* is 2.5mb, Vera* 0.5mb).

We could put it in core, but perhaps rename it to something like BackResources or SystemResources to make it more general

makes sense for -xlib, but not for other backends. It would make more
sense for this code to ask the backend for the default fonts. This way,
font fallback (in order to find _any_ font usable as the system font)
can be handled in the backend, which can do better than trying random
names.

Sounds like a good idea.

Yes, indeed.
It also makes sense in view of i18n; in some language environments,
Helvetica/Courier doesn't make sense or is too restrictive to display
all the characters they need, although it is reasonable as a default/fallback
value.

It would also be nice for non-European users if GNUstep allows them to specify multiple system fonts, one for displaying the Latin characters, and the rest for the characters of their native language. (I'm not sure if this makes sense for the
backends other than -xlib.)

For this purpose and to minimize possible developers' labor, it may be useful to introduce the notion of 'supplementary system fonts' to save the current interface and implementation as possible. When supplementary system fonts are not specified, GNUstep would behave as it does, while once they are specified, GNUstep could display non-Latin characters based on a given specification. It would be possible for the backend to specify by itself supplementary system fonts based on a locale in use unless any specification is
given.

Oops, I begin to talk about another story, don't I? Go back to the original
issue, please.

- KK