Re: using an asian font... puzzling...

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: using an asian font... puzzling...
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 16:50:21 -0400

From: Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org, yjchenx@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:57:15 +0100

>   Most CJK fonts also contain latin letters.
>   If you set them as your default font, you can still use your native
> language,
>   though the font maybe not so good.

Is there a "standard" equivalent pair of serif/sans-serif fonts for CJK
the way Times-Roman and Helvetica are for latin letters ? I am using
CODE2000 at the moment, but it is not that great at 12pt and is serifed which
is not so good as the default font for the menus.

From my personal experience, the latin letters in CJK fonts are generally ugly,
 and they are all serif (I don't know why).
 If you have legal Windows 2000, maybe you can find a font called "SimSun",
 which is a Traditional Chinese font, but also contains Japanese glyph.
 I think it is good look at 12pt in latin.
 Check the last two images at
 http://www.people.virginia.edu/~yc2w/GNUstep/screenshots/back.html
 Maybe you need to install Traditional Chinese support to get this font.

 Yen-Ju