Re: open letter about development proposals

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: open letter about development proposals
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:53:35 +0100

On 2003-08-05 07:10:46 +0000 stefan@wms-network.de wrote:

i looked at the camino/gecko sources a couple of days ago. since camino
depends on gecko you will first have to port the gecko engine to
GNUstep.Gecko itself seems to use Carbon for the Mac-implementation.
Camino itself uses Objective-C++. Btw: does "Apple's extensive ObjC
changes being merged back" include objc++?

Not for the moment; but they are planning to include ObjC++. With a bit
of luck it will be for gcc 3.4, but that's not sure.

However, i think porting gecko
can be very hard especially if you take a look at the sources (no, i do
not flame c++ but this stuff is really ugly from my point of view).

I agree with that : they built a sort of dynamic OO system on top of C++,
in fact, kinda like Objective-C ;-)
The result is strange. And it looks weird if you compare it to ObjC...

Many consider KHTML/bindings (as used by Apple's Safari, and recently by
Omni) the better implementation. If/when ObjC++ is available via gcc,
porting KHTML to GNUstep would probably be even easier.

Thats what i think too. I already made some (rundimentary) investigations
about porting the KWQ-Layer to GNUstep without using objc++ (don't know
when this becomes available). I think it's not too difficult to rewrite
this layer using pure C to communicate with GNUstep. Is anyone interestet
in participating? I think it's too much for one person (or it will take a
long time).

Well, it depends in *when* ObjC++ will became available; if that's planned
for gcc 3.4, I'm not sure it's worth the effort -- just wait for ObjC++ and port
WebCore and JavaCore.

Using WebCore (and JavaCore) a browser _completely_ based on GNUstep
could be written within a very short time...
and it will probaply give us a nice browser with a complete GNUstep
interface. No more need for gtk :-)

yes :-)
imho KHTML is nicer/cleaner than gecko, structurally speaking. And with
Apple using it we are sure that it will evolve well to support as many pages
as possible ...
--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> PGP :
http://www.roard.com/download/key.gpg.asc