Re: open letter about development proposals

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: open letter about development proposals
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 09:40:01 +0100

On 2003-08-05 08:25:30 +0000 stefan@wms-network.de wrote:

can you estimate how likely it is that these changes are included in 3.4.
any ideas when 3.4 will become available. I can't find a date on the gcc
page.

No idea, I just read some messages about it but I don't follow regularly
the gcc mailing list :-)
Nobody is more informed about the (expected) releases date of gcc ?

Well, it depends in *when* ObjC++ will became available; if that's planned
for gcc 3.4, I'm not sure it's worth the effort -- just wait for ObjC++
and port
WebCore and JavaCore.

I've already done JavaCore (with APPLE_CHANGES) as a sort of 'trace
bullet' to see if it's generally possible. Well, this was quite easy since
JavaCore does not make extensive usage of the Foundation library. And it
uses Carbon which makes it easier to port. For WebCore, i can't say if
it's worth the effort. Maybe i start porting and see how far it goes.

hmm yes then it could be a good idea to try and see how it's coming :-)
After all if you see that the work to port it isn't too painful, I think it
would be a good thing to do it ;-)
Then we could start programming a browser on top of it; and when
ObjC++ will be available we could use WebCore directly...
The work done on the browser itself won't be lost.

--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> PGP :
http://www.roard.com/download/key.gpg.asc