Re: What's the faster way to change attributes of string ?

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: What's the faster way to change attributes of string ?
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:05:23 -0400

From: "Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:31:38 -0400

From: Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:58:13 +0200

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

>   I have two choices:
>   1. Build a new NSAttributedString and use [NSTextStorage
> setAttributedString:].
>   2. Directly use -addAttribute:value:range: on NSTextStorage.
>   Is there any significant difference in speed between this two ways ?

Unless you're changing the attributes of every single character in the
string, #2 should be faster, but perhaps not by much. However, for #2,
it's very important that you call -beginEditing before the first change
and -endEditing after the last change. Otherwise, #2 will be very slow.

Well, they are equally slow when changing the color and font on every keyword of NSTextView.m.
 From -beginEditing to -endEditing takes only 5-8 seconds,
after that, it takes almost 1 min to render the NSAttributedString on NSTextView.
 It is tested with CodeEditor CVS, with backart.
 (xlib-backend is roughly the same slow. I just didn't measure the time).

 Yen-Ju

- Alexander Malmberg