Re: gnustep beginner

From: Manuel Teira
Subject: Re: gnustep beginner
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:20:48 +0200

El Lunes, 11 de Agosto de 2003 10:38, Aleksandr Skobelev escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Excuse me, please, if I've sent this message in wrong place.
>
> I'm just looking at GNUstep and trying to understand what it is.  I sit
> under Debian so I've installed all gnustep-* packages and tried to run
> some GNUstep applications from the examples. Unfortunately I've got a
> problem: not one text string is displayed in any application. So, what is
> I see is empty windows, buttons, tables... At the first, I thought that
> it is something wrong with fonts and locale (one is ru_RU.KOI8-R).
> But playing with text-niked Inc.app I pushed some button in a head row of
> some table and text appeared inside the table. There were very strange
> colors (like the dark grey foreground and the black background) and when
> I tried to scroll the table something broke down and white strips appeared
> on the black background.

I also had a lot of problems with the debian packages. At least in the
unstable distribution, that I'm using, the packages were broken a week ago.

> And there was yet another strange thing IMHO. While all buttons were dark
> grey a background was white.
>
> If somebody has been able to understand what I've tried to say here (I'm
> not sure my knowledge of English is fine), please, give me some clues
> about what can be the the reason for such the behaviour or what I should
> do to understand it.

I also suffered the same extrange behaviour in the first tests I made.
Unfortunately I don't know the reason. Anyway, I downloaded the CVS version
of the gnustep core and downloaded a set of fonts from www.gnustep.de and
those problems went away.

Good luck.