Suggestion to speed up NSTextView

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Suggestion to speed up NSTextView
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:53:54 -0400

Hi,

 After spending a lot of time to speed up the CodeEditor,
 I have a suggestion which might help to speed up NSTextView.
Current implementation of text system work well when attributes don't change a lot.
 If attributes change a lot, the glyph generation is pretty slow.

There is a [NSLayoutManager -isValidGlyphIndex:] in Cocoa but not in GNUstep. If NSLayoutManager can check the validation of glyph index without generating glyph,
 it will speed GSHorizontalTypesetter a lot (more than twice).

Since glyph generation depends on backend, I have no idea whether it is doable. But in xlib, glyph is equal to character, I guess it is not hard to make it work.

 The faster CodeEditor is in CVS if you want to try.

 Have fun

 Yen-Ju