Re: Display backend replacement

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Display backend replacement
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:27:50 +0200

Michael Larson wrote:
> What amount of work would it be to replace the X11 display / input back
> end with another display (say a PS2 framebuffer). Just curious, I would
> like to have a canned UI for my PS2 without writing the thing myself.

If you can provide a framebuffer for each window, back-art can handle
all the rendering for you. If that isn't possible, or if it's too slow,
you'll have to implement the dps rendering (ie. NSGraphicsContext)
yourself on top of some native rendering interface. Unless that native
interface is close to dps, which is very unlikely, that's a lot of work.

The other part, window management and input handling, is very
system-specific, so you'll have to implement that from scratch either
way. If there's a native window management system you can use, it would
probably be easy; otherwise, this is also a fair amount of work. The
class you'd need to provide an implementation of for this part is
GSDisplayServer.

- Alexander Malmberg