Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui/Back version 0.8.9

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Gui/Back version 0.8.9
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:48:04 -0700 (PDT)

I will be making a corresponding Gorm release soon.  :)

Later, GJC
--- Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
> Note: These are pre-release versions for a stable release in about a
> month.
>
> This is version 0.8.9 of the GNUstep GUI library (`gnustep-gui').
>
> What is the GNUstep GUI Library?
> ================================
>
>     It is a library of graphical user interface classes written
> completely in the Objective-C language; the classes are based upon the
> OpenStep specification as release by NeXT Software, Inc.  The library
> has been enhanced in a number of ways to take advantage of the GNU
> system.  These classes include graphical objects such as buttons, text
> fields, popup lists, browser lists, and windows; there are also many
> associated classes for handling events, colors, fonts, pasteboards and
> images.
>
>     The GNUstep GUI Library is designed in two parts.  The first part is
> the front-end component which is independent of platform and display
> system.  This front-end is combined with a back-end component which
> handles all of the display system dependent such as specific calls to
> X/Windows.  This design allows the GNUstep applications to have the
> "look and feel" of the underlying display system without any changes to
> the application, and the library can be easily ported to other display
> systems.
>
>     The GNUstep GUI Library requires the GNU Objective-C compiler, the
> GNUstep Base Library, the TIFF Graphics library, and a back-end
> component like the GNUstep 'Back' Backend.
>
> Noteworthy changes in version `0.8.9'
> =====================================
>
>     Note that many headers have moved to new locations (both in the
> package and when installed), so it is possible, although not likely
> that some applications may not compile because they cannot find the
> right header.
>
>     * New Language Setup documentation.
>
> Where can you get it?  How can you compile it?
>
>     The gstep-gui-0.8.9.tar.gz distribution file has been placed on
> `ftp.gnustep.org' in `pub/gnustep/core'.
>
>     the TIFF Graphics library version 3.4 is required.
>
>     It also requires the GNUstep Base Library.
>
> Where do I send bug reports?
> ============================
>
>     Please log bug reports on the GNUstep project page
> <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group=gnustep> or send bug reports to
> <bug-gnustep@gnu.org>.
>
> Obtaining GNU Software

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---