RE: [objc-improvements] Just remembered something about multiplem ethod

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: [objc-improvements] Just remembered something about multiplem ethod signatures...
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:04:01 -0700

With great respect, I would like to add one thing.

> Ziemowit Laski <zlaski@apple.com> wrote:

>>  Alexander Malmberg wrote:

>> I disagree. A warning and almost any behavior is better than a hard
>> error.

> If you're a developer learning Objective-C, you'll either
> ignore the warnings at your peril, or file bugs about mysterious
> errors and warnings produced by the compiler.

I'm just that - a developer learning Objective C.
I never ignore the warnings. I treat every warning as
an indication of potential error.

However, I very much like the behavior (I guess this is a
traditional Unix behavior) that if there is a chance to compile,
warn, but go ahead and compile.

Pete French:

> > Suerely new users should be told 'write correct prototyped code or else
> > it might break' ? This is true of C as well as Objective-C after all.

Ziemovit Laski:

> Exactly -- either that or cast/type the receiver appropriately to
> remove the ambiguities.

I think Pete meant "the generated code might break", i.e.
"the code might break, but nevertheless generate it". That would be all
right
with me. I'd like to be able to decide myself whether to accept
compiler's choises or not.

Thank you,
Tima.