Re: [objc-improvements] Just remembered something about multiplemethod s

From: Ziemowit Laski
Subject: Re: [objc-improvements] Just remembered something about multiplemethod signatures...
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:27:47 -0700

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 12:46 US/Pacific, Steve Naroff wrote:

#1: Make sure the compiler internal cast is consistent with the method the compiler says it is using. Zem's hack to diverge for the case of void is incorrect. If the compiler picks the selector with a void return type (and the program tries to use the result), it should fail.

Ok -- I have been outvoted/overruled. :-( I shall revert the objc-improvements-branch to the old behavior shortly, and after that will ask Alex to regenerate his patch and apply it also, after further testing.

#2: Continue to consider these ambiguities warnings. If the user wants to fix these, the language and compiler have the tools (-Werror and strong typing).

#3: Potentially improve the UI (i.e. error messages) that stem from the funny internal casting of objc_msgSend(). That is...try and avoid forcing the user from understanding the calling convention (that is runtime/abi dependent).

I suspect that that will be quite tricky to implement, and therefore gladly leave it up to others. :-) :-)

#4: Consider adding argument overloading for a future release.

Ditto. :-)

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477