ANN Position 0.2.1 Was: Re: ANN: Gps 0.2

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: ANN Position 0.2.1 Was: Re: ANN: Gps 0.2
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:13:14 +0300

Done.
Gps.app is now Position.app and is at http://www.gnustep.it/enrico/position/

On 2003-09-12 09:12:32 +0300 Stefan Urbanek <urbanek@host.sk> wrote:

Hi,

This discussion is getting legthy and I think it is starting to be about argue, how to call a screwdriver. If you come to a hardware store, you usually do not ask for a 'Rene' or 'Magda' meaning you want screwdriver or a hammer.

I would suggest to call taht tool (application) to reflect what it does. The word shourd be in direct connection with the purpose and the purpose from the name should be obvious at first look. If there is such simple name, only then you can add some additive names, like 'Hammer Rene', 'Screwdriver Magda' or 'Screw Richard'. So for example, if the name is Position(.app), then you can add somewhere (in info panel), that THIS particular Position.app is called 'Position-Mercator' or 'Position-Galileo' or whatever.

With this I would suggest this 'naming scheme', if there is need of one: use as simple as possible and as descriptive as possible name that comes into your mind when you want to do the task that an application does. Name it like that and then optionaly use some addition to be able to distinguish your hammer from other hammers.

Best regards,

Stefan