Localization in tools

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: Localization in tools
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:05:26 +0200

Dear developers,

Is it correct that localization does not work in tools? I have a loadable bundle with

         ./Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings
         ./Resources/German.lproj/Localizable.strings

Both files are unicode encloded and contain stuff like

"1" = "Please check the tax rates in vkContract %@!";
"2" = "No Loading Volume for %@!";
"3" = "Cancel";

When I set my sytem to German in System Preferences and execute the following code in an app, I get the german translation.

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle bundleWithPath:@"/SomeDir/Bundles/MyBundle.bundle"]; NSLog(@"string %@", [bundle localizedStringForKey:@"3" value:@"Fehler" table:nil]);

When I do the same in a tool I get the english text of ./Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings. Why? Shouldn't that work in tools as well? I experienced this behaviour on Mac OSX and on GNUstep.

Regards,

   Andreas