Re: The need for a libobjc maintainer

From: Timothy J. Wood
Subject: Re: The need for a libobjc maintainer
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:34:28 -0800

On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 11:26  AM, Ziemowit Laski wrote:
Yes, absolutely. It would be good to have one maintainer who actually lives on the GNU runtime day-to-day, and then another who has exposure to the Darwin side of things (esp. differences between the GNU and NeXT runtimes). So, if Nicola agrees to run for office :-), I'm definitely for nominating both him and Andrew.

Just commenting as a very interested bystander, so feel free to ignore me if I'm being an idiot, but ... it would be even better to have a pair of maintainers, GNUstep and Darwin that were committed to (a) LGPL-ing the Apple runtime (possibly dual license with APSL), (b) merging the runtimes and (c) simplifying the objc compiler bits by getting rid of the -ffoo-runtime switch.

I know this is probably wishful thinking on my part (backwards compatibility, Apple legal issues, practical and philosophical differences on whether __builtin_apply is better than assembly messengers, runtime+crt0 initialization issues), but I can't help but worry that the runtimes are going to continue diverging and maintenance is only going to get harder.

  A guy can dream, can't he?  :)

I did some work a while back to take a MinGW release and the Darwin ObjC runtime and get MinGW produce output for the Darwin runtime and then modified the Darwin runtime to work on Win32/x86 (not too hard since the x86 messenger code is already there). I know this is a very small step in the grand scheme of things, but if anyone is interested in the bits, I can put them up somewhere (they are fairly old at this point, though much should remain the same).

-tim