Re: Compiling on Darwin

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Compiling on Darwin
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:26:44 +0100

On 04.11.2003, at 00:13, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
How hard would it be to write a patch ourselves?

I think its pretty hard. One of the differences between the NeXT and the GNU runtime is that the NeXT runtime uses assembly for method dispatch (AFAIK). So I guess to do such a patch, you would need to be an expert in all the supported assembly languages ;-)

the NeXT runtime is open source (Even by GNU's definition!), its just not GPL.

Well, given Apple's aggressive nature in protecting its IP, it may be somewhat dangerous for people working on the GNU runtime even to look at the NeXT runtime sources. It would be best to get some official statement from Apple that their runtime is released under GPL+exception and that the runtimes are going to be merged. I would *love* to see that.

Greets,
  Helge