Compiling on Darwin

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Compiling on Darwin
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:54:20 -0800

Ok, so i patched apple's GCC with the patch that was provided here a while ago. Built and installed it. Then i built libffi (from within apple' gcc sources, libffi didn't get built by default) and installed it in /GNUstep/System (which is where i put gnustep-make). Trying to compile gnustep-base gives me an error about ffi:

-_-_-
checking ffi.h usability... yes
checking ffi.h presence... yes
checking for ffi.h... yes
checking callback.h usability... no
checking callback.h presence... no
checking for callback.h... no
checking "for forwarding callback in runtime"... no
checking "FFI library usage"... none

You do not have an up-to-date libobjc library installed
GNUstep requires ffcall or libffi and proper libobjc hooks to do
invocations and DO.
(This does not apply on apple-apple-apple systems where DO is
not compatible with other GNUstep systems.)

You most likely do not want to build base without DO support. Many
things, including all applications, won't work at all without DO.
If you really want to build -base without DO support, add --disable-do
to the configure arguments.
For more information, read the GNUstep build guide, ffcall section:
http://documents.made-it.com/GNUstep/ buildguide.html#FOREIGN.FUNCTION.INTERFACES
configure: error: Incomplete support for ffi functionality.
-_-_-

I configured everything w/ --library-combo=gnu-gnu-gnu but it still says that the objc runtime is NeXT... I'm now compiling apple's gcc with the patch in the machine-specific instructions (change #define to #undef), but I am unwilling to trash my NeXT runtime, how do i install the GNU runtime (and why isn't it built by default? Even if disabled!?) without clobbering other stuff, and what does -fgnu-runtime/-fnext-runtime *actually* do?

Thanx,
JP

----
It's all fun and games 'til someone writes to a NULL pointer!